Sunday, February 7, 2010

Relaxation Class

Just recently, the head of the pulmonary rehab program at the hospital stood between Sherman and me while we were working out on the recumbent bikes and said, “ It is too funny to see you two working out next to each other. You guys were my most difficult students!”

Difficult? Me? Well, okay let me look back.

I was so nervous and so scared to work out when I was having problems just walking. Did they know what they were doing? Am I doing harm to myself? I questioned everything.

I was a mess.

One of the RNs taught a relaxation class at the hospital on Wednesdays from 3-5 in the afternoon. She was a very gentle woman who approached me and offered the class to me for free as, “I have never met anyone more in need of these classes.”

So, with that very little prodding, I joined. We did stretches from a variety of genres. I learned to breathe. I learned to stretch. I learned strategies for when I am in bed and can’t settle my brain.

At the end of the class, we would lie on the floor and she would read a visualization story out loud which would put almost all of us to sleep. I would leave totally relaxed. It was marvelous and I really was breathing better.

This went on for a few months until one evening at 5:00; the pass that goes go my town was shut down due to an accident. My stress level went through the roof. I couldn’t get home for hours.

I realized that going to a relaxation class 30 minutes away from home into rush hour traffic was probably not the smartest thing.

I never went back but I still use much of what I learned.

Thanks, Joan!

Next: What a Hoot

No comments: