Saturday, July 17, 2010

Brain Power
























I worry a lot about not using my brain. I tend to be so forgetful that I have learned to write everything down. I can’t even remember four items to buy at the grocery store. I wander through the aisles trying to remember, which finally happens the moment I arrive home.

Through POGO, I play a lot of card and word games online. I love them. I also feel playing the piano and with the orchestra stimulate the old brain. Or I hope so, anyway.

Every September, the kids from the local grade school sell magazines as a school fundraiser. We usually buy several from each of the neighborhood kids and end up with a dozen magazines arriving in the mail for the next year.

Last year, I needed to choose just one more from the last child and searched the list of magazines. Then I saw it.

Scientific American.

Science. I don’t have the science gene. Maybe I should order this and educate myself a bit. Use my brain! Done! It arrived. I briefly read the smaller articles then worked into the longer ones. It became clear that I didn’t understand anything I had just read.

I announced to Michael that my goal was to be able to read and understand one article before the end of the subscription.

The end is near and I have learned a lot. Yes, I finally understand some of the articles. No, I don’t understand most of the articles. My brain hurts.

I think I need to renew the subscription.

No comments: