Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Trying to Break Traditions

With the smells of Fall and Halloween drawing near, I find myself thinking ahead to Christmas. I know, I can't believe it is so close. Our family takes turns for the holidays and this year, my sister has Thanksgiving and I have Christmas. I love being home for Christmas.

But, there are issues:

  • I have been sick with bronchitis for around four months this year and my stamina is not up to its former levels. 
  • My sister and husband and their daughter and husband live around two hours away and they like to stay at a local hotel Christmas evening then have breakfast here the next morning. So Christmas includes not only lunch, appetizers and dinner but a full breakfast for everyone the next morning.
  • After dinner, everyone usually stays another four hours. Nice, but I am always exhausted yet have to be up early to make breakfast the next morning. 
  • We plan and serve a unique-themed dinner inspired by foods from different countries.
  • My sister and husband are steeped in tradition and do not like changes, in fact, get very angry when forced to adjust (i.e. Thanksgiving last year when we had to go to mom's because of her broken pelvis).

Short-term Solutions:

  • Michael is going to take my brother-in-law aside during Thanksgiving to let him know that we are going to have a very simple early dinner this year. 
  • He is also going to suggest that they not spend the night since it is going to be an early dinner.

Long-term Solutions:

  • My niece Shelley is going to try to talk her parents into allowing her to have Christmas at her house in Sacramento next year. Her plan? Meet at noon for appetizers, open presents, have a potluck dinner around 3:00 and out the door by 5:00. We would be home by 7:00. Perfect.
  • Very long-term - Many years from now when my mom is no longer with us, we will spend holidays separately and meet in the city for lunch a few times a year. 

So, dear reader, I need advice. How does your family change long-held traditions to adjust to your disease?

No comments: