Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What's that Smell?

First, an OOPS! The big parade to celebrate the Giants winning of the World Series happens today not yesterday. Hopefully, the rain will hold off until the parade is over.

Also, a William update: All the concerts are still on including Friday night in New York. What a surprise.

Happy Halloween! We have lots of plans and people coming into our lives today and will report back tomorrow.

At rehab yesterday, I was greeted by both of my rehab boys for the first time in months. Dick was just there for a visit as he needed to get home to his recovering wife. Her hip replacement was a huge success but she still needs him to get around. He said after the next round of her rehab, he should be able to return to our class. Sherman and I have missed him.

There was also an unusual incident in the rehab class yesterday. It was a bad odor. It smelled of really strong old urine and a dirty body. I noticed it while walking past a woman working out on a machine in the back corner of the gym. She was a nice older woman who was quiet, very overweight and who looked mean until I got her to smile then her whole face lit up. She has been in rehab for less than a year.

Another woman in the class, who I have written about in the past, was very vocal. She was complaining to the staff about the smell while I kept my mouth shut as I continue to stay under the radar. When it was time to workout with the free weights, I had to be near the odor. I grabbed the weights and got through about a quarter of the routine when I just couldn't take it any longer. It was bad. It was to the point where it made me a bit queasy. I fled to the other side of the gym.

At the end of the class, the exercise physiologist Kelly asked if I had done my entire routine. I said that I could only do part of the weights. She paused, looked at me and said, "I got it. It has been addressed."

It must have been very embarrassing for the woman to be told that she stinks. I hope she doesn't just quit coming to rehab because it has been very good for her. I hope to see her Thursday and plan to greet her, get her to smile again and have a bit of a chat.

No comments: