Sunday, October 21, 2012

Exhaustion, Pumpkins and Hugs

Friday was an exhausting end to an unusually busy week. Traffic was a nightmare on the pass to our little town on the coastside. With mom in tow, I drove over the pass four times and sat in heavy traffic caused by a major accident or pumpkin tourists. Leaving home before 7AM allowed me to workout at  the other rehab, see the butcher and buy the weekly groceries at Trader Joe's before picking mom up for the trip over the hill for our 10:00 appointment in town. We both had our toe nails done followed by a early lunch of fish tacos for her and a salad for me. We ran a few errands, I dropped her off then sat in more traffic heading home.

I had not seen Natalie, Winnie and Oliver for a couple of weeks, so I met them at Winnie's swimming lesson in town at 4:00. And yes, there was a three car accident on the only highway into town. More traffic. But, it was worth the hug I got from Winnie and the squeal of delight in seeing me from Oliver. Natalie and I were able to talk about her job and my health. I was also heartened to hear that Winnie has been accessed and that she is one of three kindergartners who are reading. Natalie has been hired to teach music to all the students on Friday afternoon. This is a very small school of 90 students from kindergarten through 5th grade. All the students play together. She told me that while she was teaching the 5th graders, one of the boys asked if she was Winnie's mom and said, "She is very polite."

Exhaustion was the word of the day. I slept over 10 hours. But after Michael left Saturday morning, I went back to bed for several more. By noon, I was feeling better so I cut the grass in anticipation of the rains beginning today. I also made a killer Ginger Beef dinner in the wok.

I am feeling pretty good this morning and have decided to go over the pass with Michael today. I'll hit the other rehab for a good workout, we'll have some lunch then head home the long way because of the pumpkin tourists. So happy when Halloween finally arrives!

No comments: