Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Living Well with a Bad Diagnosis

One of my readers, Mandray, posted a comment to ask what the initial symptoms were at the beginning of my disease. I love hearing from people who read this blog. We are all trying to understand what happened to us and are going through the process of learning and living with a horrible, life changing diagnosis.

So, I just re-read my first six blogs which are about my symptoms and how I was finally diagnosed. All the emotions came flooding back. It was such a terrifying time of not understanding what was happening to me physically, the complete non-support of the school where I worked, losing my income due to Warren Buffett's Long-Term Disability insurance as part of my employment package which only exposed them to 24 months of payouts for any disease because of extensive exclusions, the four-year Worker's Comp lawsuit and its private investigators following us and beginning rehab. All of it was life changing.

Other than rehab, what still drives me is the continuing need to understand the disease, to learn about the latest research and this blog. It makes me face my life every morning when I write it with a cup of coffee in hand.

I have come a long way mentally and emotionally since I started this blog in 2009. I have met amazing people, learned so much and have accepted the bad diagnosis and wrapped it into our lives, which we try to live in the fullest manner every day.

That, my friends, is living well with a bad diagnosis.

No comments: