Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Adventures with Mom and Oliver

It has been hot. Today is going to be no exception but at the moment, it is cool, moist and overcasted.  We have the door opened to let the cool air into the house.

Mom and I had an adventure yesterday. When I arrived at her door after working out, she didn't look right through the eyes. She said she was nauseous and "just don't feel good." Those words reminded me of what I learned about lung transplants. The first sign of rejection was that you "just don't feel good." Because of that, I jumped into action.

I phoned the doctor who thought maybe it was a reaction to the antibiotics but I kept repeating that she didn't look or feel good. We took her home monitor, placed the paddle on her pacemaker and sent her data to the doctor. She phoned to report that mom had a change in her heart beat during the night and that the lower part of her heart was faster than the pacemaker. Not good though it was the reason for her not feeling well. While all of the above was happening, we had gone to the Starbucks at Safeway for her favorite Chai Tea because I knew it would make her feel better then we shopped for needed items. We also hit CVS and Molly Stones. All are within two blocks of her home so we would run back for the test or to get the messages or we would sit in the car and talk with the doctor on my cell phone. Finally, we found ourselves starving for lunch and her doctor wanted us to have her pacemaker adjusted so we went to Five Guys and Fries for a hot dog to eat in the car while driving to the hospital.

Mom was sitting in a chair next to the machine and they adjusted the beat of the pacemaker in the lower part of her heart wirelessly. The doctor said she might feel something. I swear, within a minute, mom said she felt different. Then she looked up at me and smiled, "I feel better." By the time we walked out of there, she was light on her feet again, her eyes looked great and she was feeling full of energy and fantastic.

After dropping her off at home, I tried to drive the pass to my house with the gas level only at 1/4 of a tank when BOOM, traffic was stopped. I turned around and detoured to a gas station. When I drove back, the backup was most gone but it was slow. It was only a mile in when I saw the last of an accident. I am so happy I turned around to get gas, I would have run out! After a quick run to the bank, CVS to pick up my clean out kit for my colonoscopy next week and a Safeway run for today, I limped home at 5:00. I was done.

Today is going to be fun. Natalie, Winnie and Oliver are arriving this morning to celebrate Oliver's 3rd birthday. Homemade brownies are ready and I will have the kids make their own lunch of croissant rolls wrapped around little hot dogs and corn chips. Oliver is a very picky eater but these are his favorites. Cooking fun! I think we may take them to the beach or to the little playground down the street before lunch.

Before they arrive, I am going to run to the post office because I missed a package yesterday. It is the legal paperwork for the money my Aunt Ruthe left to us. Lee got hers but Chip's may take another day as he lives in the middle of nowhere! I also want to pick up a fresh salad for Natalie.

Going to be a busy morning.

No comments: