Saturday, July 27, 2013

Concert



It didn't all unfold as planned but was even better in the end. I met with Dr. M, my endocrinologist, who checked all my tests, ordered some new ones, organized my meds and told me about his kids. He monitors my cholesterol, thyroid and bone density but he was also a parent at the school where I got sick and I adored his children. After the blood tests, I drove to mom's home and waited for her to return from driving a friend to a doctor's appointment then suddenly it was bumping into 1PM and I was starved. We grabbed a quick bit then got the car washed before it was time to pick Michael up from work.

The day just flew by.

Our adventure began.

Friday rush hour traffic usually begins around 3:00 but somehow we were just ahead of the major traffic. We wove our way north and managed to work our way on three different freeways to the restaurant in the hills of Berkeley. While driving, we got several phone calls and text messages that the Bay Bridge was closed in both directions. It was going to be a total mess but we were able to avoid it all by using the San Mateo Bridge, which had been our plan all along. We arrived on time.

We enjoyed a light dinner with the artist who produced most of the rock posters in the 60s to the present. He is always interesting! We were deep in the Berkeley hills, he led us through the hills on tiny streets to the venue, waved goodbye then we got lost. Really lost. The area didn't have phone service so we had no help. We did meet several lovely people while asking for directions. Finally, we noticed a lot of cars heading towards where we needed to go...it began to look familiar, I got service on my phone and suddenly we arrived on time.

Backstage
The VIP badges allowed us to wander where ever we wanted to go. We checked in with the security in the area surrounding William's sound board but Michael really wanted coffee. So, we worked our way backstage. The entire backstage area was opened to the elements. No coverings. Lots of sofas. Beautifully lit. William spotted us, got some coffee for his dad and began to introduce us to everyone. I ran down to the green room to use the bathroom and walked in on the most beautiful woman. We had a good laugh and a chat and later that evening, I watched while she was on stage. Fantastic voice. Beautiful and talented!

The lead singer came by to say hello and looked the best we have ever seen him. Michael was really the only person who could say this but he had the right tone, "You are so handsome!" and everyone laughed. Perfect. Broke the ice.

William was telling us about the opening act from New Orleans who was a man, his DJ and three women who rapped and shook their butts. It was all about butts. It was oddly fascinating, entertaining and even the security guards, who have seen everything, were enjoying the show.

After the stage change, the group took the stage. William went to work. It was being filmed and recorded but the weather was playing nasty tricks on some equipment. William was happy with most of it from his end but the issues were on stage. We never noticed. The place went nuts, it was the best show we have seen in many years and since they are also having a concert tonight, they did not have to tear down the equipment. Then, the magic happened. William, for the first time ever, invited us backstage for a beer. We hung out during the after party. I ran into the beautiful woman again and she said such kind things about our son.

Finally, William walked me to an area and we waited while Michael drove the car down. I couldn't walk back up a huge hill. No way.

After a long drive home on empty freeways, we were in bed at 1AM. I am exhausted. I will be doing a bit of wash, meeting with our alarm company people to fix some equipment sometime this afternoon and that is it. During his day off tomorrow, we are meeting William for lunch at the place we are taking mom for her birthday. A dry run.

Next week? I am working out everyday, having my hair cut and seeing mom. Period. I need some down time.

No comments: