Monday, November 29, 2010

Cranes



Beautiful cranes. In the Japanese culture, they are a symbol of good fortune and longevity because of its fabled life span of a thousand years. It also represents fidelity, as Japanese cranes are known to mate for life. Even after a mate dies, the other stays true and never mates again.

My parents embraced cranes as a symbol of their life together. My mom still feels married to my dad even though he died in 1997.

For her 80th birthday two years ago, she asked that we somehow include my dad in the celebration. It took me a while but I got it. Working with our friends Jill and Wayne, their entire family taught and helped me to make 80 origami cranes. Additional cranes were made to be included in each invitation.

At the luncheon at the famous Sheraton Palace Hotel, we had a gift box for each person with a photo of my parents under the top lid. On top of each box was also a crane, which was to be reunited with the other crane from the invitation. Then, before everyone was seated, I placed all 80 cranes down the middle of the long table. My mom loved it so much and felt dad’s presence. It meant so much to her.

After the party, she gathered them all and they are now is a beautiful tall glass vase in her dining room where she walks through so often during the day.

Michael and I began our Christmas shopping and went to our favorite store in the whole world:  Gumps. Imagine my delight when I discovered two rather large white porcelain origami crane Christmas ornaments. Guess what mom is getting for Christmas.

It will be reminder of dad and their life together. I know she will be delighted.

No comments: