Sunday, November 21, 2010

Watching and Living the Changing Roles of Women

I love watching the TV series “Mad Men.” What I find fascinating is the role of the main character’s wife as she evolves from a 1950’s frilly showpiece of a wife to a woman who is trying to find her own voice. She falls, flails, and fails but keeps moving forward. I also love to watch the growth of the one female character who is the “working gal” moving up the ladder into territory known to few women during that era. The contrast and the similarities of these two women and their changing roles is the under theme of the series.

I was with some young women and we started talking about the many pressures on today’s women. They are expected to be smart, beautiful, and athletic, earn a high income, perfect mothers and supportive partners and also be strong, Work and be a perfect parent. And look good at all times while doing it. So much pressure.

We talked about the ongoing battles for equality that still exists in the workplace. As I told them my stories, they were shocked.

Only about 35 years ago – a short time, really -  I was in college. I wanted to major in stagecraft - lighting and sound. My teacher asked why I was in the class. I told him that I wanted to learn and go to New York to work in the theater. He laughed. Sorry, that was impossible. I asked why? He replied, “Women are not allowed in the union.”  This was only 1972 not the 1950’s.

Later, after we were married and I was working at my first real job, I watched as very competent women where overlooked for promotions and raises. There was one in particular who had a tremendous amount of experience in the industry and had paid her dues in the company. She applied for an outside sales position where the real money was made. Another person with far less experience got the job. A male. She sued.

She told me that they settle the lawsuit and she was paid a lot of money to go away. It was better to pay her off than to allow a women into sales or management. Women were only allowed as support staff. I left soon afterwards.

At the school where I got sick, they professed to being so fair. So liberal. Ha! Through a snafu, I learned that the male teachers were paid a tremendous amount of money more than the female teachers. When I was moved into management, the head told me that I was not going to get any more money as, “Teachers always make more than administration.” Really? Why do teachers go into administration? Because they are working their way up the ladder, which includes pay increases.

I hate being played.

As women, we have to learn to negotiate a proper wage. Men still do that better than we do.

Equal pay is still not in the workplace. The Equal Rights Amendment, so much in the headlines in 1972, is dead. 

No comments: