Friday, November 12, 2010

Making Christmas Plans




Christmas is coming,
 The geese are getting fat,
 Please put a penny 
In the old man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny,
 A ha'penny will do, 
If you haven't got a ha'penny,
Then God bless you.
We are already planning Christmas lunch and dinner. Nine people will be sitting around the table this year. William and Kimberly will be here and have agreed to help. It is a tradition in our family to feature food from different countries - foods that grandmas are cooking in their kitchens. This year, we have chosen to feature specialities from France.

I think the main course will be a Beef Bourguignon because it is so good and can be prepared a few days ahead. We are planning to serve escargot, a charcuterie and other authentic foods from different regions for lunch. The charcuterie will feature French cheeses, marinated vegetables, terrines, pates, artisan salumi, quiches, French bread and other authentic goodies. We are excited about choosing good French wines to serve all day. We also have a domestic Absinthe for those brave enough to try it. Green fairies be damned!

It gives me something fun to think about and plan.

As Christmas quickly approaches, it is the yearly reminder for me that my time is short. I always wonder if it will be my last. It is a another marker in time. It is also very bittersweet as I love it so much but it makes me sad because I know I won’t be here for as long as I wish.

I am really going to enjoy being with everyone this year and am so grateful for a fairly healthful year. Also, the time of year is coming to pause, to review the year, to decide what I did well and what I need to work on, to set my goals for next year and to keep moving. Forward.

No comments: