Sunday, November 28, 2010

Depression


So many of the people I meet and talk with are dealing with depression, especially this time of year. They ask how I have avoided it.

I am totally convinced that all the exercise I force myself to do kicks in the proper nutrients or hormones into my brain and fights off the depression. I believe that some people have a tendency for depression and that I, thankfully, am not one of them.

I guess I try to focus on today. I try not to think about all the “what ifs” that would have happened so I would not be facing such a grim future.

The holidays can be hard. I understand. It is pure joy to see everyone but it expends a lot of energy and we may not be at our best. It is fun to go to parties and see people but there is the constant worry of being in a crowd of people when one is immune suppressed. It is lovely but also sad as I realize that I have far fewer holidays than I should have in my future.

The challenge is to not put pressure on ourselves to have everything perfect, go to every event and cook all the goodies. The goal is to stay healthy. The goal is to remember to appreciate our family and friends and to drink in our moments together. The goal is to give ourselves a break.

Adjust and keep moving forward.

No comments: