Thursday, November 11, 2010

Family Medical History

My parents would sometimes talk about questions they wish they could ask their parent but now must remain forever unanswered. They wish they had thought of them before their parents died. Things like why my dad was born in Mason City, Iowa while his four other siblings were born in Chicago. What were they doing in Iowa?

Mom wanted to know about her mother’s “broken arm” In high school, she was sent away for seven months from Chicago to the Carolinas to recover. Sounds so suspicious to us now. Does my mom have a half-sibling somewhere? A mystery.

My brother is having some health issues and his doctor asked for a full family medial history. Betty asked for my help. I wrote everything down from age and date of death to reasons of death to diseases and syndromes for our parents, siblings, aunts, uncles and grandparents. I sent the document to my mom to add things I had missed. I hit about 95%. I not only sent the completed list to Chip, it was also sent to Lee, Shelley and William.

This may be needed information for not only us but for future generations.

I am so grateful that my mom is alive and able to help with this important information.

Last week I phone Michael’s mom and told her about what we had complied. I asked if she would be so kind to do the same for her side of the family. I am so grateful she, too is alive and able to share this all-important information.

William will have his full family medical histories going back over 100 years.

Please, please ask your older relatives for this important information and write it down. Do it now before it is too late.

No comments: