Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years

Ten years ago. Seems like forever. Seems like moments.

Michael was up beginning to make coffee. I was still in bed but due to leave for work early. I had hired a new music teacher who had broken her arm in a car accident and couldn't drive. I offered to drive her to and from work until it was healed.

He came running in, "Turn on the TV. A plane crashed into a building." I watched in horror, got up and was watching the TV in the family room. Suddenly, I saw the second plane crash into the other tower. I remember feeling the energy drain from my body. I realized then that this was no accident.

I got dressed and left the house listening to the radio all the way to the music teacher's house. She hopped into the car. She had no idea what had happened.

People were in shock at the school. The schedule was changed. It was a long day.

I remember just wanting information.

I remember feeling numb.

Later, I learned that the music teacher was dating and later married a guy from Tunisia. He had danced with joy while watching the repeated showings of the buildings falling. The marriage didn't last long.

Ten years ago today. Our world forever changed.

No comments: