Friday, September 16, 2011

Routines and No Routines

It is clear: I need routines. I do better with routines. Diets, exercise, friends. But, sometimes it gets a bit dull and then I fall out of my routines.

I am currently jumping from routines to out of my box moments. It has been interesting.
  • Doctor appointments and meetings - done for a few weeks.
  • Orchestra rehearsals have begun again for the January concert. A good routine!
  • I returned to the rehab class yesterday after being absent for almost two weeks (William was here). Sherman looked great and even Barbara had returned once again. 
  • Friends. I am "taking today off" to have breakfast this morning with my friend Dolores. It has been too long since we have seen each other. I love our time together. 
  • My friend Lois is struggling with her brother's death yesterday and the fast spiralling downward health of both her mother-in-law and brother-in-law. We are planning to see each other when she returns from the funeral and the final visit to the in-laws. All are in the Mid-West.
  • Other friends, Dave and Lori, are coming tomorrow evening for a nice, relaxed, casual dinner. Dave had surgery for carpal tunnel and it did not go as well as expected. He needs a change of scenery. I don't think they have ever been here for dinner. It was a spur of the moment decision and very out of the box. We usually plan everything well in advance.
  • We have reconnected with an old friend who is back living a good life. I am also meeting two friends from high school for coffee in a week. It's been 40 years since we have seen each other.
So, after seeing Dolores today, I am buying a 5-pound pork rib roast and some groceries for tomorrow night. The menu? Antipasti appetizers, Roasted Pork Roast with Potatoes and Applesauce and vanilla ice cream with homemade Caramel Corn. An odd menu but good and simple.

Also, this afternoon I am beginning the weekend yard work. I want to save enough energy tomorrow to enjoy being with Dave and Lori in the evening.

Monday, I will drive the 200 mile round-trip trek to see my mom. She is doing really well and the broken pelvis is beginning to heal. 

Routines are good. Opening my life up to things out of the routine is also good. Where the struggle lies is with the balance. That is the constant struggle.

No comments: