Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Bone Scan and Toe Gone

Before the rehab class this morning, I am having my fifth bone scan. It is vitally important to have the bones checked every two years while on prednisone, as it sucks the calcium right out of them. When I began this journey many years ago, my endocrinologist told me that I had a very "sexy" lung disease and I would be getting lots of attention because of it. He warned me to make sure that I also had general maintenance of all my other parts - mammograms, colonoscopies, eyes checked, Pap smears. In other words, still pay attention and don't just focus of the lungs. He was right.

It went well though mom's toe removal surgery took longer than we expected. We arrived early to the surgery center at 10:30 after having her macular degeneration shot in her eye. They took her right in but the surgery itself was not scheduled to begin until 1:00. They had a lot to do to her beforehand. I was told to be back around 2:00.

I drove to the Avenue, had a nice fresh turkey salad, looked for a new yoga top then wandered through a bookstore before heading back. She finally was ready to leave around 3:00. She must keep her foot above her heart for the first 72 hours to avoid blood clots or infections. That is going to be the hard part. The doctor really doesn't want her to spend any time on her feet but she just can't let anything go. If she sees something that needs to be done, she hops right up. It is really going to be a challenge. I finally talked her into staying in her robe today and am going by this morning to make sure she has everything ready for lunch and dinner.

It was a long stressful day, I got home around 5:30 and had to quickly make dinner. I immediately changed into my pajamas, made Pizza Chicken and Michael arrived home as it was coming out of the oven. How does he time it so perfectly every time? He also changed into his pj's and we had a pajama party. It was a fun way to end a stressful day.

No comments: