Thursday, February 28, 2013

Test, Test and Done

What a day yesterday. I arrived early to the hospital for the echo sonogram to check for pulmonary hypertension. Kevin, the tech, was fantastic and a foodie! He is married to a woman from southern Georgia and he is Chinese so he really understands and loves a wide variety of food. We had a ball. While we were talking, he was taking various photos and sound recordings of my heart and measuring the pressures within my lungs. After about 45 minutes, a nurse came in and put a line in my arm to inject a saline solution. The solution would appear on the screen as it went through my heart and other photos were taken. It was to see if there was any leakage or backup.

The big news: All is well. The pressures were low. No pulmonary hypertension.

I dodged that bullet. Next up, the pulmonary function tests. The DLCO was up from 12.2 last time to 12.6. The VLC was also up a bit but nothing significant. But, at least there was not another downturn. Before the test, there were two other people waiting with me. Both had never had PFTs before and were very nervous. Because I am so consistent with my tests, I was finished in 40-minutes. One of the other people asked how I was finished so quickly? The techs laughed and said, "Oh, she's an old pro." That I am.

In the middle of the test, my phone rang. My sister called to announce that she got a job at the place she has been temping for almost two years. A real job with benefits and vacations. They put her through seven interviews. Crazy. So happy for her.

Finally, I made my way to Dr. K. and the lung clinic. I love the staff! Everyone came by to say hello while I waited. Even chatted up a few of the big, famous doctors who have known me for years but haven't seen for a while. Dr. K. reviewed the PFTs but the report for the PH was not finished and in my file yet. I told her everything the tech had told me so we were both relieved. As she reviewed everything she said the sweetest words to my ears, "Well, you are stable. See you in six months. Call me if you need me." She also mentioned that I was not ill enough to begin the lung transplant process and sounded rather disappointed. I think she wanted me to get two lungs, which would require me to be under 60-years old. I turn 60 this November.

I told her about the upcoming memorial service and promised not to hug, kiss or shake hands with anyone. She congratulated me for getting through the flu season unscathed but warned me again about the colds that are still infecting people.

The ride home was beautiful along the ocean cliffs. It had been a good day with good news.

No comments: