Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Thoughts on Liver Clinic Appointment

After a good night's sleep, I am feeling so much better this morning and ready to face the next few very busy days. Before rehab class this morning, I need another run to Bev Mo for a bottle of Buffalo Trace and a special bottle of Blanton bourbon as a present to Anna's husband. Doug will appreciate them so much more than a bottle of champagne! I found out yesterday that he actually retired from his job as a public defender just last Thursday! I thought it was formally going to happen around his birthday next month. We must celebrate that milestone while we are visiting them in LA this weekend.

Mom and I arrived on time to her early morning eye appointment. There was a nasty accident of the freeway and somehow we were able to get there though many others did not. The waiting room was empty. We were in and out within thirty-minutes. A record. We did a run to See's Candy - another present for Doug - before having a fantastic lunch at the Elephant Bar overlooking the Bay and the runways of the airport. It was so beautiful and such an unexpectedly delicious lunch. Mom, who watches every bite she eats, ordered the crispy, wok cooked sesame teriyaki beef with grilled veggies and rice. She couldn't stop eating it but as it was so much food, she brought over half home with her. It was so much fun watching her enjoy herself. I had an appetizer of minced chicken lettuce wraps.

Before I can really focus on the trip beginning Friday morning, my mind wanders to Thursday's liver appointment. I still worry that my liver may develop serious non-alcoholic cirrhosis and cause me to be denied a lung transplant. It is the result of ten years of prednisone. With Dr. K.'s encouragement, I am going to relent and have the transjugular biopsy to measure the pressure of the liver and she wants something else checked out while there are in there. I will let the liver doctor know to contact her to arrange it all. A liver problem is something I never expected to have to deal with. It is all totally out of my control, as it the lung disease. But, the only thing I do have control of in my life is exercise and to continue to watch what I eat and to stay positive.

No comments: