Saturday, August 16, 2014

More Details - Liver Biopsy

After missing two cell phone calls from Marisa from Radiology yesterday (because mom and I were talking and I just didn't hear it), I phoned her back while my toe nails were drying. I learned a bit more about the transjugular liver biopsy happening on Monday.

I can take all my morning medications before leaving home, which is the majority for the day. That makes me very happy.

They asked if I could bring my own eye drops with me. Yes, thank you.

I asked if I needed to bring ID and insurance cards. Yes. That is not sooo good because I have to trust them to Michael. He loses a lot of stuff.

Then I told her that I was just going to throw something out there but I didn't know what she could do about it. Briefly, I told her of my reduced lung capacity, being immunosuppressed for almost ten years so I am not allowed to be around groups of people like movie theatres or even airplanes. If I have a roommate who has a cold or getting a cold or any other contagious issues or if her visitors have any of the same issues, I will get sick and that could possibly kick me into lung transplants.

Yes, I was being a bit dramatic.

It was then that I learned something interesting. I will not be in a normal room after the biopsy. It will be a large room, separated by drapes in a post-op situation for the entire overnight. That, my friends, is even worse. As the staff goes patient to patient, are hands washed each and every time? How many people and visitors are in the room? Apparently, a lot.

This made me more nervous about it all. I did ask if I could maybe reduce the amount of people around me by being put in a corner. That, she said, could be arranged. She hoped!

So, I have all the bills paid, all the deposits made, food in the house and a lot taken care of in case I am in longer than expected. On Sunday, I will be making phone calls to William, Michael's mom, Michael's sister Anna, my brother and sister just to check in. Hopefully, I will text them all afterwards...

Today, the yards will be done and tomorrow I am so looking forward to Michael and I taking mom to dinner to celebrate her 86th birthday.

Still nervous.

No comments: