Friday, April 22, 2016

PFT Results

I have been having pulmonary function tests at my university medical center lab since 2004. Through the years, relationships formed. At the lab, I have gone through marriages, divorces, birthing of children and departures. The receptionist has become such a good friend that we Facebook each other. It was exciting to learn that she is four months pregnant with her second child. She had told me over a year ago that, if God willing, she so wanted another child. She is forty-two years old. She is also involved in setting up specific tests for prospective lung transplant patients, so we will be seeing a lot of each other!

My current favorite lab person has been working there for only three years. She and her husband have an almost 3-year old and don't own a TV. They play a lot of live music, different genres of recorded music are also featured and, of course, they dance. I try to share with her what I learned about children and music education, what to expose him to and at what age to begin lessons on an instrument. I also get my best numbers when she is working with me.

I was expecting my numbers to have fallen since being so ill but, when compared to previous tests, they were similar. The only change that I noticed was my hemoglobin level was 14 and now it is 16. It shows that I am needing more help with the exchanging of gasses.

It is important for those of us with an interstitial lung disease to keep an eye on two numbers: forced vital capacity and DLCO adjusted for the hemoglobin. Just by watching the numbers during the tests, I can tell how well or how poorly I am doing.

Here are my latest numbers and you might want to get out your report to compare. My age, weight, height and ethnicity are used to predict what a similarly healthy person would test, what I actually did was observed and what was my percentage of predicted:

Predicted          Observed          % Predicted
Forced Vital Capacity           3.22                    1.52                    44%

Diffusing Capacity (adj)     25.06                  11.03                   44%

So there. Not great but not too horrible. At one time, my diffusing capacity (DLCO) was 7.7 observed. That was horrible. Remember that 100 is normal and under 30 is considered severe. 

No comments: