Friday, August 12, 2016

Bumping into People

I am exhausted. Too much fun. Last night, we arrived to the car show and there were about twice as many people there as last week. We sat inside and watched some really cool cars arrive, people mingling around the cars and some familiar faces. Michael spotted his brother's first wife's boyfriend from across the room, went over to say hello and I was once again amazed that he even recognized him after 40-years.

British Don arrived right on time to share a crab sandwich, calamari and sliders. The band started to play and they were a bit too loud. Hate that. Hard to have a conversation and, after all, isn't that the point of going out together?

When William was four-years old in a nursery school, he made a friend and I became friends with the mom. We have bumped into each other through the years and we bumped again last night in the women's bathroom! I told her William was at a table and she went over for a nice chat. Her husband was talking to him by the time I got back. Nice.

Then, we were getting ready to head home, walked back outside and two guys pulled up on bicycles. I wandered over while Michael was talking with him and it turned out to be someone I had not seen in over 20-years. We met Jim when he was in high school in 1971 and, in 1990, his mother was the person who recommended me to the school where I got sick. She was amazing and I learned so much from her while working at the school. Jim told me that she passed away two-years ago but I was not surprised that she died her way. She made everyone else comfortable, had a bit of a party and died less than 30-days after discovering a rare cancer growing on the outside of her stomach.

Jim has been married for many years, has a 27-year old daughter and installs the most amazing hardwood floors. He also works with anything wood. Very creative, very tender, nice man. I loved watching he and William talk. He knew about William but had never met him so he had lots of questions. Lots and lots of questions and they both shared lots of laughter.

We finally pulled ourselves away and got home at 9PM.

The boys will be finishing William's car today. I will be driving mom to her dentist appointment then I have a hair appointment in the afternoon. These few days have flown by.

No comments: