Saturday, May 26, 2012

One Outfit, One Day

Thursday was Liver Clinic day. I always dress up for doctor appointments so I wore my slim cut Levi's with a white shirt and a short, light green, thin leather jacket. Also wore the cute black shoes. Little did I know how many situations throughout the day that outfit would be appropriate.

After the Liver Clinic, Mom and I ran some errands before having lunch on the Avenue surrounded by lovely looking women. The outfit worked. Afterwards, we went to the play at her church surrounded by grandparents who were all beautifully dressed.

There, I recognized and went over to speak with the parents of the Jim, who started the Folk Mass group in 1967. I joined soon afterwards and it was because of that group that in 1971, I met Michael and we have been together ever since. Jim's parents had 9 (!) children and I was friends with two of his sisters. I loved hanging out at their house as it was filled with very outgoing, dynamic children. Sadly, one of their daughter's was killed during the collapse of a freeway during the 1989 earthquake.

During the rehearsals at their house in the early days, Mrs. Maxwell would be singing along with us while rocking their newest and last baby. She had a great voice. While waiting for the play to begin, a nice young mom walked through the crowd offering small muffins to everyone - Food, Glorious Food (from the musical about to be presented) - and Mrs. Maxwell caught my attention to say the woman was that baby's wife! One of their grandchildren had the lead in the musical. Where did the years go? I am so glad that I was not in my normal workout gear and looked decent! In fact, the woman behind us tapped my shoulder to ask if I worked out at the other rehab. She said she didn't recognize me in real clothes!

Michael and I arrived home within an hour of each other. The house was nice and clean from the housekeepers so he didn't want me to cook. There were plans to meet someone but those plans fell through. We decided to stay local, ran to Safeway for a couple of things then went to a great restaurant. We rarely eat out for dinner so this was a treat. The place was packed, all the tables were reserved so we ate at the bar and ordered two appetizers and a Manhattan for Michael. We enjoyed grilled calamari tossed with aioli, charmoula, chili oil and bits of crostinni. Amazing. We also had the Artisan Italian Cheeses and Salume which was just two very thin slices of four different cheese, salume, nuts, quince which were all delicious. That was our dinner. I was still in the outfit and happy because we ran into a couple we had not seen in many years. Our sons went to pre-school together and had run into each other sporadically as they grew. They were meeting friends for a drink just down the bar from us.

I thought on everywhere I had been during the day and had no idea when I put the outfit on in the morning that it would take me beautifully throughout the day. I guess I need to dress well more often!

No comments: