Thursday, April 3, 2014

Tune it Up!

Mom and I had an easy ride out to the Valley and an easier ride back home. Still, it was a long day and I was trying to gather my strength for orchestra rehearsal after dropping mom off at her home when suddenly, my cell phone rang. It was Gerry. She told me she was not going to be at the rehearsal and that she also was not going to be able to play the concert. They are going to have to hire someone to fill in for us. I was so very happy that I didn't have to go to the rehearsal, in fact, there would be no more rehearsals until September. I need a break.

Grace was a teacher and is a history buff. Conversations with her are always so interesting and the luncheon was lovely. She gave mom a few pieces of costume jewelry, which she loved. It was good for these two friends to sit and talk together. I tried to stay quiet and let them have their time.

The piano tuner is due this afternoon so I am going to try to cut the grass early this morning. More rain is due tomorrow so today is my only chance.

My piano. It is a full grand made in Korea. It is not a GREAT piano but it is good enough of this not-so-great pianist. But, I miss playing it. It is so out of tune that I can't stand hearing it. When William was growing up, I would play it while waiting for dinner to cook or Michael to come home or if I was bored in the afternoon. He bedroom door would be shut. It was on the Nordstroms escalator when I discovered he actually was listening and had developed a decent musical ear. It was the era of "Chariots of Fire" and I had bought the sheet music. Suddenly, the pianist at Nordstroms began playing a rather flowery arrangement of it and he said, "You play that song, mom." He was eight-years old. Little did I know where his musical ears would take him. He is in Sao Paulo, Brazil today.

My goal is to have the piano tuned twice today then once again after our road trip. I know he can't get it up to 440 but he can tune it up a bit and to itself. The goal is to re-tune it at least two more times to get it up to 440 by Christmas so we can sing and play other instruments together.

No comments: