Friday, April 4, 2014

Tickling the Ivories



My piano is fantastic: not a cracked or warped soundboard, no felt or hammer issues. About a decade ago, a guy tried to tune it but told me he couldn't get it up to A440. I told him to tune it to itself but have unhappily lived with it for years. Finally, I just couldn't play it anymore as it hurt my ears.

Norm the tuner arrived and told me it was indeed flat but it shouldn't be a problem getting it up to A440. I was thrilled. No strings were broken in the process! He even told me that how I keep the piano with the front part of the lid folded back and the keyboard cover closed was the perfect way for air to circulate. I had been doing everything right!

After three hours of cleaning, vacuuming and tuning, my piano was wonderful. I can now play it! We made plans to re-tune it in four months and I promised to play it a lot to help the strings settled in. I am joyful. My fingers are using muscle memory to remember songs and pieces of music I haven't played in years. Since I was able to cut the yards yesterday before this morning's rains, I now have all day Saturday to mess around with it. Hours. So exciting!

Mom and I are going to the Gem Show today, thanks to Grace. She gave us free tickets. We will go after I work out at the other rehab this morning and we have a bit of lunch. A nice day.

I feel good. No sign of the cold, though I was worried because I had a bit of a dry throat after spending the entire day with mom on Wednesday. But, I still don't want to push my luck, so this weekend will be a quiet one. I am gathering my strength for all the preparations for the trip.

No comments: