Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Diet, Exercise and Lung Transplant Process


I realize that last year was truly a remarkable year. All of the loose ends were tied up. Everything that needed to be said, was. Relationships were all mended or settled. Such a fulfilling year.

This year, the focus is definitely on my diet. Seems simple but this is really the first step to the lung transplant process. It will almost take the full year to get to the weight I want to be, though the doctor doesn’t think I can get that low. We’ll see. For the process to begin, I need to weigh between 25-30 BMI (Body Mass Index). I just have a few pounds to lose to meet that goal but I want more. I don't want to worry about bumping back into a disqualifying weight. So, when we return from our road trip, the three months of the doctor supervised liquid diet will begin. 

In 2012, the first part of the year will begin the six month qualifying process of qualify for the lung transplants. They usually begin the process with an internal exam of the heart. I am so happy that I have been doing such extensive aerobic exercising for the past six years. I have a good heart. I just hope it is good enough!

So, next year is the culmination of the past six years of rehab and moving forward with my process of living with the disease. The testing will determine if I can even have lung transplants when I need them, which hopefully won’t be needed for many more years. Remember, only 50% of transplant patients are alive after five years. Lung transplants are not for a longer life, they are for a better quality of life. 

So, after I qualify or if I fail, I think we should plan another trip to look forward to while going through the process. Maybe we will take a run to Seattle to visit William and Kimberly. That would be nice.

No comments: