Thursday, March 10, 2011

March Nutritionist Visit

Photo of 18 pounds of butter

I found myself yesterday making the long trek up to the hospital deep in the city for my monthly meeting with nutritionist, Mr. B. I also took the opportunity to run across the street to the hospital for a blood draw to check my fasting cholesterol and see if I have any pre-diabetes markers for the liver clinic. Afterwards, I grabbed a cup of coffee and munched on my string cheese. Breakfast!

The waiting room to see Mr. B. is always interesting and this time, it didn’t disappoint. I chatted with a few people but I was clearly the smallest person in the room.

The good news:  I lost 7 pounds for a grand total of 18 pounds in ten weeks. I am the weight I was when I had the lung biopsy. All the prednisone weight is gone. Now I am going into long uncharted territory weight-wise. Exciting.

We reviewed the foods I have eaten during the past month. The Crustless Quiche was a hit and he made a copy of the recipe for his other clients. I asked about sunchokes as I have seen them sliced very thinly and baked into what appears to be like a potato chip. No! They are really high in carbs. Nuts! I also found some wonderful spaghetti noodles made with a weird flour and tofu that is really delicious. No cooking. Just run it under hot water. I brought the wrapper with me and he approved it.

We also made arrangements for the supervised 3-month liquid diet that I will be starting after our road trip. Three months of no food. He estimates that I should lose 30 pounds. Imagine, 30 pounds gone. Remarkable. We are going to meet five days after we get back to learn how to prepare the shakes. I will have to actually purchase it at the other hospital site and it will run about $400.00 per month. Well worth it.

My personal goal is not to gain any weight on the road trip. This means being really careful when we eat BBQ and other southern favorites. I am determined not to put any weigh back on. Determined!

On my vow to wear something new or too small before the diet to Mr. B. appointments, I wore a beautiful tweed jacket from Coldwater Creek –on sale –along with the new shoes from the previous appointment. I also wore the smallest pair of pants in my closet. They fit. It is a miracle. I felt like a million bucks!

No comments: