Sunday, March 20, 2011

UP

Okay, I was little late to discover this movie until mom loaned me her DVD of “UP.” What a movie. I was crying within a few minutes after watching Carl and Ellie meet and a quick and well done fast forward to her funeral. I usually avoid movies about death and dying but this was so sweet. So tender. And, I think Carl reminded me a bit of Michael.

The Spirit of Adventure.

When I was away overnight with my mom, I got home to discover that Michael had slept on the couch. He didn’t want to sleep in our bed without me. Thirty-seven years together and I can count the nights we have been separated on two hands. The dishes were still in the sink but the rest of the house was picked up. He did a good job.

I think that has been the hardest thing for me to deal with – the thought of dying and leaving Michael alone. I hope his memories bring him comfort after a while but my heart just breaks thinking of him alone like Carl.

“Thanks for the adventure, now have a new one.”

While watching “UP," I was hoping that we all could live life as colorfully as Kevin the Snipe and have a dog like Dug.

And he had to let the house go. And begin again.

And I sopped again at the end.

PS Fenton’s Creamery is a famous landmark. 226 Piedmont Ave., Oakland. Swing by when you’re in town.

No comments: