Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Future Bassist?

As I have mentioned in other blogs, string bass players have a bad reputation in orchestras. We are the naughty ones. We tend to play too loudly. We talk too much. We are the fun ones. When featured artists travel through, they often hang out with the basses. We love our naughty reputation.

I am usually the first person to arrive for the orchestra rehearsal each week. I like to tune up before the others arrive so I can tune easier. Before us, there is a dance class. I had begun to talk with the teacher and some of the girls. It could be awkward if I just stumbled into their space before they were ready to quit. I wait. Smile. It just makes the transition easier.

Last Wednesday night, one of the young girls didn’t leave as quickly as all the others. Her teacher and I were talking when she asked about my bass. I told her that I was probably the only girl she would ever see playing one. It is mostly played by boys and that is one reason why I LOVE playing it.

I asked if she wanted to try to play it.

She replied that she was afraid of breaking it and I told her that was impossible. I quickly unpacked it and had her hold it properly by laying the edge against her belly. I remember the first time I felt the vibration of the strings with my body. It felt alive. It is a powerful instrument.

She brightened. I gave her the bow. She played it on the strings.

She thanked me and took off. Her teacher told me that she takes dance lessons five days a week. I know kids. I know that this kid would fit well into the bass reputation. I mentioned to the teacher that basses are the naughty ones in the orchestra. She laughed and said this girl would fit right in! I sure can spot them!

Maybe this was a beginning of a future female bassist?

Gawd, I miss kids.

No comments: