Monday, March 28, 2011

Things To See


The primary intent of the upcoming road trip is to attend a wedding. But, we have other plans along the way:

We will visit Elvis’ Graceland in Memphis. We missed it last time we were through Memphis and I have regretted it ever since. Michael does the best Elvis impersonation ever so I have a feeling I will be hearing it a lot this trip.

I fell in love with the Mississippi River in New Orleans. It was a living, breathing entity. I understood for the first time why books feature it as a main character and song are written about it. While in Memphis, we are going to take another river boat ride on the mighty river.

As a musician, I really want to see Beale Street, which is also in Memphis. It’s the Home of the Blues and the birthplace of Rock ‘n Roll. So historic. After jazz was born in New Orleans, there were jobs in Kansas City then the trend headed to the speakeasies in Chicago. We are going to find some good music in Kansas City. As well as BBQ!

Bourbon sipping in Kentucky! We are visiting the Jim Beam Distillery on our way to Louisville then we will head to the Buffalo Trace Distillery near Frankfort on our way to Tennessee. We will be buying Christmas presents and other gifts for people at both distilleries.

I am so excited to travel over the Appalachian mountains. I hear they are so beautiful and I have read so much about them.

My toes have never touched the Atlantic Ocean. This trip, we are heading to the coast of the Carolinas. I guarantee the toes will hit the water!

We want to walk the famous cemetery in Charleston, South Carolina. We want to walk the historic downtown area. We want to eat low country food.

Attention Paula Dean:  We are going to join you at your Lady and Son’s restaurant for lunch in Savannah, Georgia even if we have to wait in a long line.

Attention Gladys Knight:  We are going to join you at your Chicken and Waffles restaurant in Atlanta because, according to William, you have the best in the entire country. It is the only reason we are going to endure Atlanta. Chicken and Waffles.

Mostly, we are excited to see my brother and his wife, my aunt and cousin, Michael’s sister and her family, my friend Christien from my old school where I got sick and Michael’s mom in Las Vegas.

I am counting the days until we begin our journey. We are into single digits!

No comments: