Wednesday, July 20, 2011

More Company

I love Michael’s nephew William. He is the youngest son of Michael’s sister, Anna. She has three children: April was born in the 1970’s, Daniel was born in the 1980’s and William was born in the 1990’s. Anna is 60-years old and William is going to be a senior in high school in September. She must be exhausted.

We have made plan for a visit with Anna, her daughter April and her 4-year old son Stephen at the end of the month. Anna phoned last Friday and asked if they could also bring William up with them.

I am thrilled. I love this kid.

He is an amazing trumpet player and will be the drum major for his marching band next fall. He is bright and interesting. During our first visit in many years, I noticed that most people ignored him. I asked him to play his trumpet for me. He did. Immediately, people began to talk. I stopped him and said, “Start again and we will all just stop and listen.” All focus was on him. This child LOVES the spotlight. There is no lack of ego here. I see a future lawyer.

I always pay a huge amount of attention to him when we are together. We talk music. We talk books. We talk art. I ask a lot of questions of him. I am interested.

When we were alone two years ago, I said, “You are ready to just bust out of here, aren’t you?” He looked at me as though his secret was revealed. I told him to hang in there, work hard and plan to go away to college. He smiled. We were thinking on the same page.

So my job during this visit is to pay attention to April and to pay attention to Stephen and to pay attention to William. I am really going to have to be mindful of each.

I thought I would invite William into my kitchen to help me make the appetizers and dinner. We can also chat alone while working in the kitchen together.

I thought I would walk the tide pools with Stephen and show him the secret garden I shared with Winnie.

I thought I would sit next to April and talk with her as often as possible.

I just can’t wait.

No comments: