Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tattoos

My mom is a shopper. With her 83rd birthday drawing closer, it is almost impossible to find a present that she needs or wants. If she needs or wants anything, she stalks it until she finds it at a terrific bargain price. Anything we buy for her, she can always find it better and cheaper.

So, it was great relief when we spoke on the phone earlier this week to discover that she needs summer pajamas and nightgowns. Yipee!

Months ago, she had mentioned that she was thinking about getting her eyebrows tattooed. Yes, my soon-to-be 83 year-old mom. The mom who never allowed her ears to be pierced. The mom who is very conservative in every area of her life.

Recently, she has noticed that her drawn eyebrows are wearing off or seemed to just disappear. She was embarrassed to discover that they did their disappearing act while she was enjoying a lovely group luncheon. That was when the idea of tattoos came to mind.

During our phone conversation, I offered to pay for her tattooed eyebrows as her birthday present. That is when she told me she had already had them done over a month ago!

She LOVES them. She also went  back two times to have them tweaked. They weren’t cheap. I think with the tip and an extra return visit, it was around $350.00.

My mother-in-law Mary has had cosmetic tattoos for well over a decade. Her eyebrows, eyeliner, blush and lipstick are all tattoos. She loves them. She awakens in the morning, throws on moisturizer and is done.

After hearing about my mom, Mary suggested that now she needs to get her lips done. No more lipstick and she will have color all the time! I passed that suggestion along to my mom. We’ll see. I have a feeling she might just do it. I will report back to you, dear reader.

No comments: