Living Well with a Bad Diagnosis - Lung Disease

Saturday, August 1, 2015

An Entire Day Out

I talked all day yesterday. Breakfast was with my dear friend and there was never a pause in the conversation. It was marvelous to reconnect, be brought up to speed and just to see each other. She always looks so fantastic! Directly from breakfast, I got to mom's by noon and we went to...lunch! And we talked non-stop. Her big news was that the poker games are back on. I just love the mental image of my 86-year old mom playing poker with the guys. She can hold her own.

I tried to get home but there was yet another accident on the pass, third one in just a few days. Finally made it! Then, at 6:25 Michael flew through the door exhausted from a rough day but we had to be out the door in 15 minutes. After his shower, we were on the road. With our car packed with five people, we drove into the city to the #1 restaurant with hard-fought reservations in hand.

The Maitre d' remembered us and welcomed us back. The table was perfect. I talked all night.

The food. Ah, the food. I began with the Seared Foie Gras with Caramelized Onions and Peaches, Soft Shelled Crab with Roasted Tomatoes, Pancetta and Basil and the cheese plate. Michael had the Seared Ahi Tuna with Avocado, Nori, Enoki Mushrooms and Lemon Soy Dressing; Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Pork Belly, Carrot-Ginger Glaze, Fava Beans, Peas, Peppers and Pickled Ramps; a coconut dessert of an ice cream cake.

Some highlights from some of the other food served to our table:
Risotto with Rock Shrimp, Dungeness Crab, Shimeji Mushrooms, Asparagus and Peas.
Herb-Crusted Lamb with Spring Vegetable Tian and Polenta.
Juniper Crusted Bison with King Trumpet Mushrooms, Cipolini Onions and Wild Nettle Spatzle.
Roasted Quail stuffed with Mushroom Ragout, Leeks, Quinoa and Foie Gras with Fingerling Potatoes and Porcini Cream.

We waddled out of the restaurant then drove a short distance to the oldest bar in the city in the North Beach area. The manager remembered us and we had fun conversations with him. Again, we were the oldest people in the place. I took the last lap and drove everyone home. We climbed into bed at 1:30AM, proud that we were able to keep up with the people with us who were all around our son's age. I think I will head back to bed after breakfast!

No comments: