Friday, July 14, 2017

Fresh Ginger

It was a rough morning yesterday but after the rehab class, I felt so much better. Always amazes me what exercise does to my body as it seems to crave it! It was a quiet evening and an early bedtime.

I am wheezing and coughing and I think it is because I have not fully recovered from the birthday party and gig on Wednesday. They took a lot out of me. Today, mom and I are just hanging out together and will probably run errands for her before a bit of lunch. Hopefully, I will make it home for a nap before the 7-9PM Irish Fiddling gig at the swanky wine place north of us. The weather is going to be gorgeous this weekend and I plan to read, nap and hang out in the gardens. And recover from a wild week.

Years ago, my friend Lois who was a biologist and did drug research, told me that ginger was very good for the lungs. Remembering this recently, I bought some crystallized ginger and some other ginger candies for Jeannie, my car pool to rehab class buddy. I found that if I kept a piece of crystallized ginger in my mouth, it would get hot and suddenly, I could breathe better. So, while waiting for class to begin, I offered a piece I bought for myself to another person in the class. She had been dealing with lots of COPD coughing, kept the piece is her mouth and did not cough during the entire class. She was shocked. I told her that if she could not find it anywhere, I would be happy to buy some at our organic market for her. Another thing Lois suggested was to very thinly slice the fresh ginger and steep it in boiling water for a tea. If you like ginger, you might want to give it a try.

No comments: