Thursday, August 15, 2013

Day Between Field Trips

I am now officially tired. Yesterday, I was up at 5AM to shower and dress and was out the door by 6:30. Mom and I were on the road together for the 100+ drive into the valley. East. Before meeting her friends for lunch, we drove an additional 40-minutes north to visit my dad at a cemetery in Lodi. Mom was stunned someone had stolen the silk flowers from the vase on his crypt but happy that she brought some new ones with her. We cleaned his nameplate then drove to another section to clean a plaque in memory of her brother who died over Germany in WWII.

We quickly drove back to her former city to swing by her house. It looked good. She was happy. From there, we visited another friend for almost two hours before meeting other friends for lunch. It was rather sad to see her friend not looking too good. Mom and her two friends were born the same year but one was healthy as a horse, one seemed to be fading fast and mom looked like a young kid next to them. I did a lot of listening.

The drive home was uneventful but it was interesting to leave Modesto where it was 98 degrees, to drop mom at her house where it was 68 degrees and to come home here to the coast where it was RAINING because the fog was so thick and 62 degrees. It actually felt fantastic after being in the oppressive heat.

But, it was a lot of driving and a lot of talking and I am a lot of tired. Today, we are going on a field trip with Barbara and her day care kids at a ranch here on the coast and after driving mom home, I am going to sleep. I knew this week was going to be tough but I am really feeling it. It has been almost three weeks since Michael's mom's visit and two weeks since the weekend outings with William so I think I escaped becoming sick from those events. I just need to make sure I don't get sick from this week and the upcoming weekend activities in celebration of mom's 85th birthday.  Doing so is going to require some downtime. I am going to do a bit of yard work tomorrow then not much else. I really want to be energized and feeling well for my appointment next Wednesday with my lung doctor, Dr. K.

No comments: