Thursday, August 22, 2013

Stable, Thankfully

It was a good appointment with Dr. K. yesterday. She is the super excellent lung doctor who has led me through this whole process. I had a list prepared. Surprisingly, she was in a good mood. Maybe, actually funny. What a shock!

I was feeling pretty good and it proved to be a good omen. She mentioned that I was back to the same levels as a year ago, still bad but better. Lung capacity was the same but my DLCO was up 3% to 14.3. Nice.

We chatted but my liver issues and I asked for her opinion about having a transjugular biopsy. She reviewed my liver blood tests and sonogram and suggested asking the doctor why he is wanted to have a biopsy at this time. What would he change in my treatment? Why not just change that now? There is no medication so it would be lifestyle things like additional weight loss or watching fat content more closely. Kind of made sense to me. So, when I see him next week, I will ask. Kindly. Oh, she also mentioned that I am strong enough to be intubated so not to be worried about that.

I also shared the two cancer issues and she reminded me to have a cancer screening appointment with my new dermatologist because of my prolong use of imuran (azothioprine), which leaves a vulnerability to skin cancers. I already had made that appointment.

It was with relief that she said the required proof of supplemental oxygen needs for Medicare was not a 6-minute walk test but a bicycle test. Easy. I will also have a full run of PFTs during the same appointment! It will be a 2.5 - 3 hour appointment. Yikes!

Then, she reminded me to have a flu shot when the 2013/2014 version is released in September. She listened to my lungs, which were clear, then she sent me off for another six months.

Stable. I am in stability-land. All the company. All the nights out. All the stress and I didn't get sick. I want to stay here in stability-land so I have been working out extra hard. The two-hour power yoga class almost killed me yesterday then after a shower and the long drive to the city for the doctor appointment, I was very tired last night. I slept like the dead and that was so needed as tonight is going to be a late night. A naughty night. I will share the details tomorrow.

No comments: