Thursday, August 29, 2013

Liver Biopsy Discussion

This morning is the appointment with Dr. H. in the liver clinic, which I have been so dreading. It is to discuss a possible transjugular biopsy of my poor over-medicated liver. As I have been worrying about this whole conversation, something my lung doctor, Dr. K said to me offered a little hope. I didn't catch it at the time but it came back to me yesterday. She said, after I asked her to review my liver blood tests and sonogram, that the only negative liver function level showed the bilirubin was a little high but the sonogram report DO NOT MENTION THAT THE LIVER WAS ENLARGED. That was the whole reason for the biopsy. An enlarged liver could mean the possibility it was turning fibrotic. Cirrhosis. Non-alcoholic cirrhosis.

So, I am going into this meeting to see how the doctor wants to proceed then offer, "Dr. K. asked me several questions that I was not able to answer." I then will ask what the hurry is for a biopsy and why now? What will be the changes in my treatment after the biopsy? Lose more weight? Be very careful of fats? (My current diet focuses on carb and calories.) Exercise even more? Why not do these things now and keep testing the liver? I may even ask for another referral to the Weight Management group to get down to 26 BMI. I am currently at 28 BMI and need to stay between 25-30 to be accepted into the lung transplant clinic, when needed.

It should be an interesting conversation.

No comments: