Friday, January 10, 2014

An Offer I Can't Refuse

There are two major teaching university hospitals in our area. We are blessed. I go to the gritty one to the north in the city, mom goes to the more genteel, elegant one to the south of us. They are not really competitive with each other and I have even been to seminars presented by both universities.

Mom had an appointment yesterday to have her pacemaker device checked and tweaked. We saw lots of doctors and all was well. I was not able to attend the last device check up three months ago as I had an appointment myself. Each doctor and nurse asked how I was doing with my lungs, I told them about the brief visit to the hospital for pneumonia in September and the recent bout last month. When the big doctor came to review everything with mom at the end of the two hour visit, he commented that he heard I was not doing so well.

I replied that I think my poor body is finally breaking down after more than 10 years of dealing with this ILD. I also commented that I think I may need new lungs this year or next so we are planning a final month long road trip in May.

Then something amazing happened.

He offered to help me get into his system for lung transplants, if needed. Amazing. My hospital has very high standards for lungs as they want to keep their success rate high. If for some reason I do not qualify for lungs through them, this doctor told me he would refer me into their system. Wow.

A back up plan. An offer I can't refuse.

No comments: