Tuesday, January 21, 2014

New Problem With My Nissen Fundoplication


NASA, I think we have a problem. My Nissen Fundoplication may be failing. I didn't know it could fail until a few visits ago with Dr. K. She asked if I had heartburn or indigestion and I replied that I had a Nissen. She paused, looked at me and said, "They can expand and leak."

I was not worried. I had no problems. I was fine.

Last week, mom and I went to lunch and I had a nice chopped salad at Mimi's. I have had it before. No problem. Well, I started to burp soon afterwards then the feeling of being uncomfortable began. It was like "stuff" in my upper chest, not my throat but lower. I thought it was a blip.

Yesterday, we met to run some errands and had a nice lunch at Nordstrom’s. I loved their Chinese salad (without oranges and noodles) because it was a perfect portion. Well, it started again. I now wonder if salad is the culprit. It was not as bad as last week but it definitely was there. I made sure to sleep higher on my wedge and did not wake up all night. This morning, it is gone.

This makes my mind wander back to the first time I was having problems with it because it was "tied" too tightly. The surgeon asked if I drank carbonated drinks? No. Just water and iced tea. Well, I didn't question why? A couple of weeks ago, I was flipping through the channels and dropped by a program on TLC, "My 600-Pound Life." After her gastric bypass, the woman was sneaking a diet coke once in a while. The doctor was furious. Apparently, the carbonation makes the stomach expand.

The light went on in my brain yesterday. In the past year, I have discovered flavored waters. Carbonated flavored waters. While Michael was having a cocktail, I would have a nice glass of these waters. It was a treat. Well, I began to have more than just a treat and have been drinking an average of two bottles a week. I wonder if they caused the problems I am now experiencing? Nuts! I hate the drugs for GERD, as they are extensive and really don't seem to work on me. I really hate the thought of all the microaspirations going into my lungs and causing flairs. Who knows? Maybe this was the cause of my recent bouts of pneumonia. So, the waters are gone. No more. I will talk about this with Dr. K. during our next visit.

No comments: