Thursday, January 30, 2014

Simple Miracles Happen

I climbing into bed last night and couldn't sleep. My mind wanted to process the day and would just not calm down. Finally around midnight, I settled into my chair in the family room, wrapped covers around myself and drifted off.

The drive in the gentle rain into the city was rather easy and took just under an hour. I think it was a record breaker! Even more miraculously, I found street parking! Free! I arrived at the clinic 25-minutes early, caught the elevator with someone who recognized me from three years ago and we landed on the floor of the clinic together. My old buddy at the front desk immediately remembered me and I was greeted like a returning hero. No ID required!

Then I waited. And waited. The staff went home and I was still waiting. My 3:30 appointment happened at 4:40. I was pacing as I was worried about the long rush hour drive home then the orchestra dress rehearsal. Finally, the woman who road the elevator with me went to check to see how much longer. Five more minutes. Then we began to chat. I explained to her why I was there, she told me that I would be approved for the liquid diet during this appointment but will need to see the nutritionist to actually begin the diet. YIKES! I had been watching all the people coming and going and all making appointments to see him for the past almost two hours. They were having to book their appointments in March. I did not want to have to wait another month to get going on the liquid diet. She said,"Let's book him for you now and just let the doctor know you have an appointment with him." When she asked when I could see him, I told her anytime and I would be there. She smiled, looked up and said, "Oops, there just was a cancellation and he has an opening this Friday at 11:00." What?!? I can still begin the diet on Saturday as planned? Yippee!

I think this falls into the category of always being nice to the front desk people. They can make or break your life. I don't understand what happened but I think she worked some magic.

Finally, I met the nice, young doctor. It began. I gave a brief history of my lung disease, prednisone side effects, my rehab and exercise programs, my previous weight loss at the clinic and my desire to begin a liquid diet ASAP. She listened to my heart and lungs, asked more questions then gave her approval.

While I was in the waiting room, I must say that I felt like the skinniest person in the room. When the young woman took my vitals, she told me that I looked fantastic and was surprised that I wanted to lose some weight. That made me feel good! Then, the doctor told me that even though I gained back just a bit of weight, I was considered a success as I had not put the weight back on over the past three years. That also made me feel good.

After we said our goodbyes, I walked quickly back to the car, up a steep hill, in the light rain, hopped into the car and crossed my fingers for a safe drive home. Magic happened again. There was no traffic on one of the most major streets in the city. I worked my way through Golden Gate Park onto Sunset Ave, went past the Zoo, past the PGA major golf course near the ocean, hit the exit and just flew down the coast. It did not feel like a rush hour. Michael and I arrived home within minutes of each other. We ate leftover roasted chicken for dinner, threw my string bass in the car and I made it to the dress rehearsal on time.

It was a long, intense night but Gerry and I played well and feel ready for the orchestra concert on Saturday night.

This morning, I have to be out of the house very early for the housekeepers, then I am seeing my glaucoma doctor to check on the high pressure in my left eye. All this fun will be followed by pulmonary rehab class. I am going to crawl home this afternoon.

No comments: