Friday, October 16, 2015

Inhalers

For years, I never used an inhaler. Ever. Last time I was in the hospital with pneumonia, a respiratory therapist was giving me treatments of albuterol every four hours, even throughout the night. I noticed an improvement in my breathing. Around day two, I asked about the treatments and was told that I had a choice between the RT treatments and using a simple inhaler. Hmmmm. Inhalers never seemed to help with my breathing issues but, I thought I would give it a shot.

Proair. Albuterol sulfate. It helped. After my hospital stay, I asked Dr. K. for a prescription because I really noticed the improvement to my breathing when I used it each morning. It has been a couple of years now.

Yesterday, mom had her eye surgery so I had to be up and out by 7AM. I forgot to take two puffs from my inhaler and one other medication for my ear issues. I struggled all day. My chest felt tight, my sats were lower than usual, I coughed a lot and began to worry that I was getting sick. I did take the Proair when I got home but it took time for me to feel any relief. Before bed last night, I even asked Michael to set up my oxygen and used it to calm the cough.

I worried that the infection I thought I had dodged might have settled into my chest.

This morning, I am breathing really well. No coughing. I am planning to workout at the other rehab after Michael and I visit with mom this morning. I will be hyper-aware of my breathing and note any extensive coughing.

Mom. Her eyelid surgery went as planned yesterday. This morning, I need to pick up some medications for her and a Chai tea from Starbucks. She will be homebound for a few days and, with then entire Bay Area coming to our little town for the Pumpkin Festival this weekend, we won't be able to get to her until Monday.

No comments: