Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sharing the Blog


My mom had some biopsies taken from her elbow, hand, face and ear a couple of weeks ago. The spot on her elbow came back pre-cancerous so we went to the doctor yesterday to removed the entire growth with an application of liquid nitrogen. They also did a full exam of her body and found two other benign but bothersome ones that they also removed.

As Mom was at a teaching university clinic, a first year resident did the initial exam and asked all the questions then she left to reviewed all she had learned with the dermatologist. They both returned to the room where the doctor examined mom again and was lovely to her. They agreed to freeze the three spots and asked mom to return in three months. It as so interesting to watch the resident use the liquid nitrogen. She used what looked like a little torch and just danced around the edges of the scab of the biopsy of her elbow and completely covered the other two moles. They turned pink but we were told they would turn black and eventually just fall off. Mom said it was all rather painless.

Afterwards, the resident said something about prednisone and both mom and I moaned. Yes, we know all about prednisone. The resident began to ask questions and a quick version of my story came out. She seemed very interested so I told her about this blog, something I very rarely do. Michael, who never reads my blog, was beginning to tell people about it if they were having some minor medical problems. I reminded him that it was VERY personal and not something I wanted to share with a lot of people we know. It's funny that I have to keep it anonymous in order to be completely honest about what we are facing. 

Anyway, I hope the information will be helpful to the resident in the coming years as she becomes a practicing physician. She was one smart cookie. I know she will do well.

No comments: