Thursday, February 5, 2015

And the Doctor Said

The good news is that this was the flu, not an exacerbation of the lung disease. I knew that as it was so different from my normal downturns. With 40 mgs of prednisone on board for two days, I felt more energy yesterday than I have in weeks.

After the drive into the city, I had the 11AM pulmonary function tests and found that they were down just a bit. Not a massive drop. Not to need-transplant levels. I began to relax, had lunch, read, met with the head of the patient advisory board in the hallway while reading some more, walked across the street and read some more before heading upstairs to the 4PM appointment with Dr. K.

It was a long day.

Dr. K. said my lungs sounded so much better than I had reported to her last Saturday. The prednisone was doing its job. She said that she didn't want to be cavalier and miss something was why she ordered the CT scan and PFTs. She wanted to insure this was not the big downhill towards transplants. I told her that was my worry and she responded, "I know." With that, I mentioned this was our 10-year anniversary in May. She paused, smiled and said, "Wow." I looked her in the eyes and said, "Thank you." What I wanted her to hear was, "Thank you. I would not be alive right now if you had not taken over my case. Thank you for caring about my case. Thank you for being the best doctor I have known."

No comments: