Monday, April 27, 2015

Reflections on the Past

The meeting to prepare for the May 28 Grand Rounds event has been postponed for a week, so we decided to meet British Don for appetizers instead. Workout, mom, Don. An interesting day ahead. I did extra time on the treadmill at the other rehab yesterday to see if I would have hip pain this morning. No pain. So, I am going again this morning and, if I feel nothing, I am going to phone to cancel my Thursday appointment.

We had a very quiet day together yesterday. I love those days. We sat in the sunshine and worked on our bullet points for our speeches for the Grand Rounds. It brought back so many memories: being told I had a fatal illness, all the lawsuits and private detectives following me for months, trying to educate ourselves about the disease, grieving a shortened future together, the mania of prednisone, Michael watching me breathe at night just to make sure I was alive, how rehab saved my life. Those four years of our lives on hold before the Worker's Comp suit was settled were extremely difficult. After that, we were able to do the needed work to our home, take a long road trip and just begin to really live with a bad diagnosis.

We never looked back.

I took control over my diet and increased my exercise routines. I finally felt like I was not in"panic" mode and we settled into daily life. We began to extend ourselves out into the world more and more. New friends. New experiences. Growth.

Now, I am convinced this is my life's work. This blog, the speeches I give and will continue to give and living a positive life is how I try to share what I have learned. It has been a process. I am sure there is so much more learning ahead.

No comments: