Sunday, April 5, 2015

Two Strong Women

We were told of the death of one of our former neighbors yesterday. We were kids of just 22 and 23-years old when we bought the house next door to this nice family, whose last son was heading off to college. He was a fantastic gardener and worked for the State. She worked as a bookkeeper in town. They gently taught us how to maintain a house. What I will always remember is when my arms were so tired holding William for hours, I would go over a for visit where they cooed and rocked him. They were good people.

A couple of months ago, I ran into him in the grocery line, we hugged and talked before I went out to their car to see her. She looked pretty good but thin. Cancer. I knew it wasn't going to be long. I learned yesterday morning that she died on March 28th. They had been married 62-years.

Later in the day, a friend came by to see a car in our garage. He is building one similar and wanted to see the color combination. He and his wife have been fighting her cancer for four years. They have been married for just over 50-years, went to high school together, raised two children and went from poor local kids to millionaires. They worked their butts off. Together.

We stood in our garage and I got him talking. He talked and talked. Later, Michael thanked me as no one else could have handle that discussion. I kept pushing it forward. I know he left us feeling better. He also shared that the doctor has given her less than six-months.

I must say that both of these women are/were strong fighters. It reminds me to continue the battle and not to get lazy. Losing weight helps my lungs. Exercising helps my body. Those are my weapons for the fight.

They both will be with me today as we celebrate Easter with mom. Celebrating a new season. Life continues.

No comments: