Saturday, January 14, 2017

One Packed Day

I fell into bed at 10:00 last night thinking that it had been one heck of a day. Running a bit late, I got to mom's in time to chat a bit then make her hearing aid appointment on time. Her hearing has declined and the hearing aids needed to be adjusted. We went to Mimi's for lunch then back to mom's before heading over the pass for home. I had a brief amount of time to change, redo my makeup for the party, put some polish on my fingernails and remember to take my inhaler and oxygen with me.

The Irish Fiddlers had a gig beginning at 5PM. Michael, my stage manager, hauled the string bass into the little car and set it up at the venue for me. Love that guy. We played an hour before the singer announced, "If you are a fan of the sounds of the lower, larger instruments, please be advised that this is the last song with the string bass as she has to go to another party." Funny. We hauled the bass home then drove over the pass to the surprise 60th birthday party of a friend of ours.

We were worried about being late but arrived about 20 minutes before the birthday boy. He was so surprised and said he could never trust his wife again! She really got him! So many of his old grade and high school friends were there. I finally got to meet many couples who enjoyed the car extravaganza Hot August Nights in Reno with Michael all these years. Both of us have a bit of a sore throat this morning from talking and laughing so much!

It was at a fancy Athletic Club. A really nice live band played mostly South American and African rhythms while everyone enjoyed the open bar and the huge array of food. We had planned to leave if we noticed people coughing or sneezing but...no one. It was great!

A dear woman we met over thirty years ago who married and later divorced a friend of Michael's was there. It was fantastic to see and chat with her. Photos of our children were passed around and so many memories flooded my soul. She actually thanked me for being so supportive of her and kind to her through all those years. Wow. She called us, "The Movie Star couple," More Wow. We exchanged phone numbers and will get together for dinner. Soon.

What a day it had been. The drive home was shared telling each other about conversations we had with other people.

Today, I am going to cut the from lawn, try to weed a bit then begin to pack for the trip on Monday. I keep reminding myself it is only for four days, not a month like our big road trips. I will try really hard not to over pack.

No comments: