Thursday, March 5, 2015

No Longer Current

A few years before my aunt died at 84-year old, she used to say that she didn't understand the world anymore. She would asked what in the heck was a .com? She believed in books and read right up to the day she died. Never touched a computer. When something would happen that she just could not understand, she would say that she was ready to leave this earth. It had become too complicated.

Without realizing it, I was current on all things when I was surrounded by the students at the school where I got sick. It was in the air. New technology, new books, new fashion, new music, new TV shows. I knew what the kids were into and thought it was all normal. It wasn't until a few years after I left that I realized that I was no longer current.

Proof of that was when William would visit. He nudged us to be up to date with technology, bought Michael an iPad which changed his online life, he introduced us to Hulu, bought us a Wii years ago and he was pushing an Apple TV box to stream Netflix plus an Amazon Prime account last Christmas. Also last Christmas, my niece asked for a specific brand of boots. By the time I tried to find them, they were sold out of the popular styles. The Nordstrom clerk mentioned that they couldn't keep them in stock because they were so popular. I had never hear of them.

Listening to the radio while working in the gardens yesterday, it was mentioned how we out of the important demographics for advertisers. It is lately that I do recognize that fact. The reason why we are not as important as the younger people is that they are still making decisions on what they want to buy. We older people have made up our minds. Interesting.

I do have to admit that sometimes when the world seems upside down, I feel that I really don't understand what is going on. I am out of touch. I am not current anymore. I have got to start hanging with younger people!

No comments: