Monday, March 30, 2015

Wild Weekend - Done

I could have sworn it was a Saturday! Yesterday, I did all of my normal Saturday chores of yard work and ironing and cooking. I guess I had to pay for taking Saturday off to recover from taking Friday off. Does that make any sense at all?

It was beautiful here with lots of sunshine. We were both in shorts during the late afternoon while sitting on the garden swing, listening to music and talking about everything we forgot to share during the week. I love Michael's work stories. Afterwards, we had a light shrimp salad over butter lettuce. After such a wild weekend, I am nervous about Wednesday's weigh-in with the weight doctor. So, I will be sweating at the other rehab this morning before spending the day with mom. She has an appointment with the hearing aid people at Costco.

Food. I have long been intrigued with pork belly. It looks so good in the butcher's case and I had my first taste of it in a restaurant in SF with British Don last year. It is a bite of crispy skin, a layer of fat then it melds into pork loin. I checked into cooking it and was overwhelmed by the process so I gave up. On Saturday, British Don gave me a piece to take home. The research was on. I found a very simple process of scoring the fat layer, covering it with Chinese 5-Spice powder and salt, marinating it for at least two hours, cooking it at 500 degrees for ten-minutes then reducing the heat to 350 degrees for two-hours. Well, I cooked it last night, cut a small cube and OMG! Crispy, oozy, tender meat. I sent some off to Thomas at Michael's work. The rest will have to be eaten by Michael as I think it is the second most fattiest food one can eat, goose liver winning the top award!

No comments: