Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Day One Chauffeur

Another night of eleven hours of sleep last night. I think the daily exercise is really doing its good thing to my body. Sleeping like a baby. Today is the first day I am giving Jeannie a lift to and from the rehab class. She lives in the new senior housing on the other side of our little town, was depending on Ready Wheels to get to class and was complaining that the diesel smell was overwhelming. I offered to be her chauffeur.

She was recently told by her doctor that there was nothing more he could do for her. She is on massive oxygen, uses a walker, weighs just over 100 pounds and looks horrible. She is really struggling. Her health is on the decline. I want to offer her help, support and a bit of fun in her life. An example: A large group of us were talking about the crab sandwiches at the restaurant right on the ocean and she mentioned she would love to try them one day. She doesn't have a car and it is rather expensive so once we get into our routine, I am going to offer to pick her up early to split a sandwich before our class. My treat. Need to stop at Safeway on the way home? No problem. Those are the kind of things I want do for her.

It took her about two months to finally accept my offer of a ride. She is a proud, independent person and doesn't want me to have to wait around for her to finish working out or not able to run any errands before class. She doesn't want to be a bother or a burden. I assured her that all that didn't matter. We would make it work.

No comments: