Friday, July 13, 2018

Next Steps

Janet and I talked before the rehab class. I reported that Jeannie was expecting people to arrive any minute and couldn't talk with me yesterday morning. Janet actually had spoken to her the day before and learned her "next steps going forward."

In California, we are one of seven states that have an assisted suicide law in place. It allows doctors to prescribe lethal drugs to patients with six months or less to live. It was reported that in the first year, more than 500 adults in the state took advantage of this program. There is paperwork involved, interviews and approval required from two doctors and hoops to jump through.

Jeannie has begun the process.

She was very vocal of her support of this legislation and felt that we handle end of life issues better for our pets than our loved ones. I was not too surprised that she was seeking this pathway.

Sherman's death taught me a lot. I hated when he gave up. I pleaded with him to keep fighting and to come back to class. I asked to see him. What he taught me in the end was that when he made the final decision that he was done, he was done whether I liked it or not. I had to support his decision.

It's still hard for me to do. Hard to let go. If this is how Jeannie chooses as a way to end her life, I will support her decision and I hope to arrange a goodbye. She has taught me a lot. She really is going to be missed.

No comments: