Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Hospice

I had a really sad conversation with Jeannie yesterday morning. She phoned very early to tell me she was not going to make it to our rehab class. I reminded her that it was Monday and we didn't have class until Tuesday. I quickly asked how she was feeling and she replied that she was not well.

She sounded awful.

I then asked when she was seeing her case manager with hospice? Yesterday, she was going to be a meeting with the hospice people and her two sisters to talk about the "next steps moving forward." It didn't sound good.

The last time we carpooled to rehab, we talked about how it might be time for her to have help so she didn't have to prepare her own food and other activities of daily of living. A hospice facility. It was not what she wanted but I think she might be at the point where it would ease some of her stress.

The last time we were waiting for the rehab class to begin, her stress level was through the roof. She sat in the chair, rocking quickly back and forth. Clearly stressed. I spoke directly to her in a quiet, calm voice about a funny story, the rocking slowed then finally stopped.

The last time I saw her, we hugged, I told her I loved her and that I would see her for the next rehab class. She didn't make it to class.

So, I am going to give her a few days to think about the meeting yesterday then I will phone her. This is the hard part of life and being in a pulmonary rehab program. Dear friends leave us.

No comments: